Camp goes hand in hand with summer and often will produce visual images of youth and learning experiences. This summer, the Vermilion Parish Technology Department hosted a technology camp for educators interested creating curriculum resources for the next school year. The goal of the unique teacher camp was for those who wanted to increase their skills with Promethean Board lessons and work on flip charts for their curriculum area. The Promethean Camp was set up for teachers to meet and create useful resources called “flip charts” which involve students in interactive lessons.
The elementary Promethean Camp was held July 13th -15th . The middle school and high school Promethean Camp was held July 20th -22nd. Both of the three day camps were held in the VPSB technology center behind the school board office in Abbeville under the direction of District Technology Specialist Mike Dartez. Katie Long from Kaplan Elementary assisted with the sessions.
Promethean Boards are interactive white boards that merge lessons and technology to actively engage students in exciting and effective lessons. At this time, Vermilion Parish has about one hundred fifty Promethean Boards parish wide. In the past few years, teachers were offered to take professional development courses to earn boards for their classroom.
Educators who participated in the Vermilion Parish Promethean Camp worked to create flip charts to share with other teachers in the district. The shared flip charts that were created are in a central location for all teachers in the parish to share. Though Promethean Board and its software allows for more interactivity in lessons, the flip charts can still be utilized by any teachers whether they have a board or not. The same software used for the Promethean board can be used by a computer and controlled by the computer instead of the board. Having access to a Promethean Board and software does produce better results, however teachers without boards may also utilize the charts with productive results.
The forty Vermilion Parish Educators who participated in the Promethean Camp are listed below.
- Cecil Picard @ Maurice Elementary – Abra Lachaussee
- Dozier Elementary – Melanie Alleman, Andrea Bernard, Angie Detraz, Hope Hebert, Suzette Stutes, Sadie Suire, Claudell Thibodeaux, Jill Viator, Rebecca Yates
- Eaton Park- Jacquelyn Alleman, Jena Carroll, Patricia McLeod, Shanna Meaux
- Erath Middle School- Annette Oliva
- Erath High School-Simpson Gradnigo
- FIEB Elementary-Jill Esquivel, Fran Granger
- Gueydan High School – Jeri Chapman, Sabrina Zaunbracher
- Indian Bayou Elementary- Cathy Bergeron, Bonnie Broussard, Barbara Sellers,
- J.H. Williams Middle School- Ashley DeHart, Theresa Hebert, Nikka LeBlanc
- Kaplan Elementary- Katie Long, Christy Schexnaider, Krystal Touchet
- Kaplan High School -Timmie Melancon, Davalon Rost
- LeBlanc Elementary – Danielle Dubois, Delia Girouard, Karen Schexnayder
- Meaux Elementary-Catrina Bessard, Cheryl Broussard, Tyla Broussard, Denise Carroll Lynette Frederick
- North Vermilion High School -Trudy Zaunbrecher
- Rene Rost Middle School-Nancye Duhon